Tuesday, July 20, 2010

NBA Shooting Guards 2010 Rankings Analysis

Yesterday I posted the cumulative rankings of NBA shooting guards based on their play last season using the combination of five different statistical evaluations.  Below are my thoughts on the data.
  • As I mentioned when I posted the rankings, I am absolutely shocked to see Manu Ginobili sitting at the top spot.  I certainly expected it to be Dwayne Wade or Kobe Bryant.  Ginobili is solid all around, ranking either second or third in all five categories.
  • Wade finished first in three of the categories but was hurt by a #12 ranking on Offensive Rating.
  • Similarly, Kobe was hurt by finishing 29th in the Offensive Rating.
  • Ginobili and Wade are far and away above the rest.  The second level includes Kobe, Brandon Roy and Vince Carter.  I would say the third level includes six guys - Ray Allen, Joe Johnson, John Salmons, Rodrigue Beaubois, Jamal Crawford and Jason Richardson.
  • These guys ranked higher than I expected - Carter, Beaubois, Kyle Korver and Quentin Richardson.
  • I was surprised by the lower rankings of these guys - Joe Johnson, O.J. Mayo and Ben Gordon.
  • It's downright shocking to me that Portland will be signing Wesley Matthews to a five year, $34 million deal.  He ranked 31st by this cumulative statistical analysis.  Now granted, I realize it was his rookie season and you have to allow for growth, but that's a very large contract to give somebody for one year after those contributions.
  • Surprisingly J.J. Redick topped the Offensive Rating category.
  • Not surprising, if you watched the NBA Finals, Tony Allen came in at number one in Defensive Rating.
  • I still think the Bucks signing of John Salmons will prove to be an excellent decision.  Salmons ranked a solid eighth among shooting guards in the cumulative rankings and signed a five year deal for just $5 million more than what Portland gave to Matthews.
What player rankings surprise you the most?

No comments:

Post a Comment